Friday, June 20, 2008

Nairobi: Saturday, June 21

I've brought Seattle weather all the way here! It is completely overcast and mid-60's degrees, except the Kenyans aren't out celebrating the heat wave - they are bundled up in their winter gear and complaining about the cold!

The exciting surprise was an impressive gentleman named Junior Gaya being here in town to pick me up! He is a native Kenyan who hosts Village Volunteers volunteers in his Nairobi apartment with his sister, but moved to America and married last Fall, so I didn't expect to see him this time. I should explain about the news crew guess; NPR had interviewed Village Volunteer villages in the recent past, but I didn't know if it had been postponed since the unrest. So it was a wild guess. And the plane ticket upgrade was completely in jest, of course. :-) I spent the 17 hours on two planes in economy class splendor.

A few snafus in transit, though. London security confiscated 5 scissors from my carry-on, and would have also taken away my bag of compasses if I didn't react completely crushed the way I did. How could I have forgotten about sharp object restrictions?? Ironically, they ended up taking my carry-on away at the gate anyway because it was overweight. Fortunately, I have all day today in town, so I will replace those scissors myself, and purchase other items if I can.

Well, I just took my last running-water, temperature-controlled shower for a while. Today I will exchange for Kenyan shillings (KSH), get a cell phone set up for in-country emergency calls, attempt supply shopping, and maybe try a restaurant called Carnivore, recommended by a Seattle friend.

Talk to you another time when I have a chance :-)

No comments: